Accidents happen, and when they do, you need to have the problem fixed fast! If you have knocked out or broken a tooth, time is crucial. It is best to have the tooth tended to within the first hour for optimal results.
If you have knocked out a tooth, bring it with you. Oftentimes we can reset it back into the jaw. If you have broken a tooth, bring it with you. If we can’t reattach the broken piece, it will still be helpful in creating a new one for you.
To preserve your tooth:
- Do gently clean it with water or milk
- If possible, reinsert the tooth gently into the socket. Bite down gently on a wet cloth or gauze.
- Apply a cold compress to your cheek to reduce swelling
- If you cannot put the tooth back in the socket, carry it between your cheek and your gum.
- Do NOT scrub the tooth, you could damage the root
- Do NOT delay the trip to the dentist
- Do NOT hold the tooth by it’s roots, you could damage them, hold it only by the strong crown
- If you are suffering from a toothache, come in to the office immediately. If you let the problem persist the pain will continue to grow and the problem could get much more severe.